Tape Hair extensions is one of the many ways to achieve a beautiful makeover without pain or fuss. However, knowing how to clean them properly or maintain their quality can be a bit of a challenge, especially if it’s your first time. Here are a few things that can help you out.
Taking a Shower with Hair Extensions
Brush your hair.
This will ensure that your natural hair and your hair extensions do not have any tangles. Proper brushing is an important part of caring for your hair extensions. Make sure that you always brush your hair before you shower.
- Use a hair brush that has specialized bristles and do not pull on the connections of your hair extensions. This will help keep them attached to your hair for a longer period of time.
- It is recommended that you comb your hair 2 to 3 times a day to keep your extensions nice and tangle-free.
Starting at the root of the extension, gently apply the shampoo down through the rest of the hair. Avoid rubbing in circles, as this tends to create tangles.
- Make sure to use a shampoo that is safe for hair extensions, or one that is specifically formulated for the type of hair extensions.
- Use organic and sulfate-free shampoos, as sulfates contain properties that remove natural oils and can cause long-term dryness in the hair.
The conditioner will help keep your natural hair and your hair extensions healthy. However, only apply conditioner to the hair extensions from the mid-shaft down. This is the area that needs the most moisture.
- Avoid applying conditioner or any oil-based hair products to your hair extensions. This will cause them to become loose and eventually slip out of place.
Dry your hair with a towel.
When you get out of the shower, dry your hair carefully with a towel. Start at the top and gently work your way to the bottom. Make sure no excess water is left in your hair.
- Gently comb through your hair again to remove any tangles that may have developed while towel drying.
Dry your hair with a towel.
Use a hair dryer. It is important not to let your extension cords get wet under any circumstances. This will eventually cause them to disintegrate and begin to come off. Using a hair dryer will prevent this from happening.
- Use a heat protectant spray and blow dry your hair in sections to minimize any damage the hair dryer may cause.
Washing Your Hair Extensions Separately
Remove your hair extensions with an adhesive remover.
Hair extensions can be easily removed using organic hair extensions without any harsh chemicals. Always start at the nape of the neck and separate the lowest row of hair extensions.
- After applying the remover, wait a few minutes to allow it to penetrate the extension area before slowly peeling it off. Be careful not to pull on the hair as it may fall out. If it sticks, simply add more and repeat the process.
- If you are not comfortable removing the extensions yourself, you can go to a regular salon and they will remove them for you.
Brush your hair extensions.
As an important part of the hair extension maintenance process, be sure to comb through your hair to remove tangles before washing. This will not only make them easier to wash, but it will also keep them in good condition.
- Hold the extensions firmly and brush them from top to bottom without pulling too hard on the hair. When combing your hair, make sure there are no tangles, and be careful not to use heavy hands.
Wet your hair gradually with water.
Getting your hair wet all at once can cause tangles and make it difficult to care for the extensions over time. Therefore, gradually adding water will ensure that the hair does not get tangled when washing.
- Gently brushing the hair while adding water is also an effective way to prevent tangles from forming.
Add shampoo and conditioner to your hair.
Use the appropriate shampoo for your hair extensions and make sure to wash thoroughly before applying conditioner, only below the middle of your hair. Make sure you handle your hair extensions carefully during this process.
- It is also recommended to use a leave-in conditioner to keep the moisture in your hair extensions as they do not produce natural oils.
Dry with a towel.
Wrap the towel around your hair and lightly press to absorb the water, once again working from end to end. Avoid rubbing the towel into the hair as this can create tangles and cause damage.
Brush your hair.
This will keep the hair dry and tangle free, therefore keeping it healthy and in good condition. Take your freshly washed hair extensions and gently brush them through with a special hair brush. Make sure there is no excess water in the hair before brushing and allow it to air dry.