There will come a time when you will need to remove your tape hair extensions. While there are countless ways to remove them, we’ve compiled a simple list of ways to get them removed.
How to Remove Tape in Hair Extensions:
- The safest and most effective method is to seek professional assistance from a licensed salon professional.
- Oil-based removers for tape in hair extension can be obtained from coconut oil, olive oil, palm oil or any other similar oil. This method usually requires the user to layer the oil on top of the tag and allow time (sometimes from the temperature of the scalp or heat from outside – such as a hair dryer) for the oil to seep between the tags and loosen the tape’s adhesion. Additional oil can be used after the peel has begun to aid the peeling process.
- Conditioner can be used in the same way as oil to help remove the tape in hair extensions. This process requires more time and patience than the oil. In many cases, massaging the tag area can help loosen the stickiness and allow the conditioner to penetrate between the tape tags.
- Alcohol-based removers are typically in liquid spray form. These removers are sprayed directly on top of the tape in hair extensions. Allow time for the alcohol-based remover to penetrate between the tape tabs and gently peel them away. When the corners are lifted, use additional spray to aid in the removal process. Some users find that a simple mixture of household alcohol (rubbing alcohol) water and a few drops of essential oil is the perfect combination for gentle removal. The essential oils add a pleasant scent to the removal process.
- The combination method can be very useful. Begin by applying one essential oil to the tape label and massaging it into each label. Then, while in the shower, apply a generous amount of conditioner directly to the tape label of the tape in hair extensions and massage it freely and gently into each label. When leaving the shower, spray your alcohol-based remover on top of the tape tags and gently peel off, reapplying spray or oil as needed to aid in the removal process.
- Use adhesive remover specially made for tape in hair extensions