Hair extensions are an easy way to add volume and length to your hair without having to spend hours in front of the mirror. But choosing the right length can be tricky. We’ll show you how to figure out which style will look best on you.
How Long is Your Hair？
First of all, we do not recommend that you choose hair extensions that are too much longer than your own hair to get the best blend. If your hair is shoulder length or longer, then you can choose a longer length, but with hair that is shorter than shoulder length, we do not recommend choosing hair that is longer than 20 inches. Also, your natural hair must be at least 4-6 inches long so that the roots of the extensions can be hidden. Therefore, for those with short hair or freshly cut hair, you need to wait a while to let your hair grow naturally before opting for hair extensions!
How to Measure?
You need to prepare a mirror and a tape measure. What you need to do is hold the tape measure above your ear and let the tape measure fall naturally. At this point, you can see in the mirror that your hair has reached the length of the tape measure. Remember it, this is the natural length of your hair. This is a very simple method, come on and practice it!
Take Your Height into Consideration
Another tip to consider when getting the correct length of hair extensions is your height. Your height will play a major role in the overall appearance of your hair extensions.
Obviously, the taller you are, the shorter the length of the extensions will be and vice versa. If you are tall, you may choose a longer size, and if you are petite, 14-18 inches or shorter may be long enough for you. Therefore, you must decide what length of hair extensions to purchase based on your height.
Length of Hair Extensions Guide For Virgin Human Hair
- General Guidelines: We recommend staying within four inches of your natural hair to get the most credible blend. Each pack contains the equivalent of 100-120 grams of virgin human hair. If you are looking for a five inch or larger shift, we recommend ordering two packs.
- 14 inch hair: natural hair lengths that reach the chin or longer will be transformed into shoulder length hair.
- 16 inch hair: Natural hair lengths that reach the shoulders or longer will be transformed into hair that extends above the collar bone.
- 18 inch hair: Natural hair lengths that reach the collarbone will be transformed into hair that extends to the middle of the back.
- 20 inch hair: If you want hair extensions that reach the middle of your back or shorter, we recommend ordering 20 inch clips.
- 22 inch hair: If you want hair extensions that are longer than the middle of your back or longer, we recommend ordering 22 inch clips.
Minimum Length Of Hair Extensions
Do you want to know how short hair extensions can be? We recommend that your curls be at least 6-7 inches (15-18 cm), which is the minimum hair length for hair extensions. At anything shorter than that, hair extensions may not look natural because short hair does not allow you to properly hide the connection points.
If your natural hair is thin and short, and you don’t want to expose it to unnecessary risks, then you should have shoulder-length extensions.
- In this case, the optimal length for hair extensions should be 1.5 inches (4 cm) longer than your natural hair. This way, they won’t put too much stress on your original look.
- Choose fusion hair extensions with micro keratin bonds. These types of hair extensions will look natural and blend perfectly with your own hair. The micro keratin bonds are almost invisible, making them ideal for women with short hair.
- If your own hair is thin, you should choose Virgin hair as your extensions – this is quality material. Soft and thin in texture, INCH hair is completely safe for your natural hair, as it is light and does not cause stress on the roots.
If you want medium length hair extensions, then your optimal length is between 18 and 20 inches (45-50 cm).
What Is The Most Popular Length Of Hair Extensions
What is the optimal length of hair extensions? Based on our long experience as a major supplier of hair extensions, we can say that it has to be 18-20-22 inches (45-50-55 cm).
Let’s see why these are the best lengths for hair extensions.
- No matter how tall you are, this length is ideal because the hair extends from your shoulders all the way to your waist.
- It looks natural: not too short and not too long, so no one can tell you are getting hair extensions.
- You can also use hair extensions to achieve more density and thickness when combined with your natural hair. The standard bundle weight is 100 grams. If you are aiming for 18 inch hair extensions (45 cm), then this weight will not only add length to your hair, but also density. If you choose 26-28 inch extensions (65-70 cm), then all this weight will account for length only. In other words, your hair will be long, but not as thick.
- Good for fusion hair extension rebonding. Since you will naturally lose a few centimeters during each rebonding process, this length will allow you to maintain the same look over several rebonding sessions without having to worry about your hair getting too short.
In the case of hand-tied weft extensions, you don’t lose any length: the strands are loosened and rewoven into your own hair! This is what hand-tied wefted hair extensions are all about.
Combining quality products from our online store with proper care, you can use your hair extensions for up to a year!
Length Chart of Hair Extensions
Do you want to get the best hair extensions for you, to achieve the perfect length and volume you’ve always wanted?
This hair extensions length chart will help – use it to choose the right length of hair.
|Inches||Centimeters||Straight hair||Wavy hair||Curly hair|
|12||30||Shoulders||Chin length||Below the ear|
|14||35||Upper back||Shoulders||Chin length|
|16||40||Bra strap||Upper back||Shoulders|
|18||45||Shoulder blades||Bra strap||Upper back|
|20||50||Mid back||Shoulder blades||Bra strap|
|22||55||Mid back||Mid back||Shoulder blades|
|24||60||Lower back||Mid back||Mid back|
|26||65||Lower back||Lower back||Mid back|
|28||70||Waist||Lower back||Lower back|
Length of Straight Hair Extensions
Length of Wavy Hair Extensions
Length of Curly Hair Extensions
The maximum possible extension length is 30-32 inches (75-80 cm). There are some hair extensions of 40 inches (100 cm) in length, but this is super rare as this hair length is considered exclusive and not suitable for everyone.
In addition to the length, you can also choose the right color, structure (straight, wavy or curly), and type of hair extension (fusion, hand-tied or machine wefted, tape-ins, or clip-ins).
Please note: when buying INCH hair, you get a unique bundle of shades every time: this is high quality, raw, thin and soft hair.
How Long Do I Need Hair Extensions
If you want to change your hairstyle but keep asking yourself “what length of hair should I get extensions?” , here are some tips we’ve put together for you to find the perfect look.
The same length of hair will look completely different on a person, depending on their height. For example, on a short woman, an 18-inch bundle will reach almost to the waist, while on a tall girl it will be slightly below the shoulder.
If you wear a waterfall style, choose a longer bundle: in the process of shaping the hair, parts of the hair are cut off and the whole hairstyle may appear visually shorter.
Keep in mind that the amount of hair extensions for wavy and curly hair is straight. So if you want a specific length of hair, get a bunch of hair that is 2 inches (5 cm) longer than the target length for wavy hair and 4 inches (10 cm) for very curly hair.
If you prefer hand-tied weaves, keep in mind that by sewing the weft, you will lose about 2 inches (3-5 cm) of length. Meanwhile, tape hair extensions lose a little less length: but there is still a portion that goes to hold the tape to the hair, about 1 inch ( up to 2.5 cm).
How Do I Know If My Hair Extensions are Successful
It has to feel right: if there is too much hair, there will be significant tension and discomfort, especially when wet.
If your hair extension stylist doesn’t use enough material, the extensions will stick to your native curls and look strange.
To answer the question, “How long do I need extensions?”, we recommend that you first measure the length before you purchase the bundle. The easiest way to measure is to place a tape measure above your ear and slide your fingers through until you reach the desired length.
However, the wisest decision is to contact a professional hairdresser. At INCH Hair, we will be happy to help you choose the right hair extensions that will perfectly match the color and structure of your natural hair!!!!